Synopsis: This study by Liverpool John Moores University tested the effect of CurraNZ in 16 endurance-trained women during 120 minutes cycling at 65% VO2max after seven days intake of 600mg (two capsules) of the blackcurrant extract supplement.
- An average of 27% increase in fat oxidation (burning)
- Participants showed increases of up to 55%
- Decreased carbohydrate oxidation of 12%
- Resulting improvements to fat burning proved equivalent to undertaking endurance exercise every day for three-four weeks
- Increased pre-exercise fatty acids and glycerol concentrations, suggesting that blackcurrant improves resting fat oxidation rates
- Potential to deliver a greater degree of fat burning in overweight, obese and unhealthy people